Bright Middle Eastern flavors are the trademark of this nutritious, protein-rich, 100% plant-based Green Bean Chickpea Salad with Za’atar. Za’atar is a common seasoning—a mixture of sesame, sumac, and thyme—used in Arabic cuisine. You can find za’atar spice in many specialty shops, or just mix it up yourself.
This hearty, flavorful vegan salad recipe calls upon three important foods: crisp green beans, farro—an ancient wheat variety from Italy, and chickpeas—one of the first recorded plant foods cultivated in the Eastern Mediterranean. Along with sun-dried tomatoes, bell pepper, fresh herbs, lemon juice, and extra virgin olive oil, you can create a rustic, vibrant farro salad, which is perfect as a one-dish meal, or served as a side-dish or salad for your entrée. This Green Bean Chickpea Salad with Za’atar is perfect for meal prep or to pack up as leftovers for lunch at work, or to bring to your next potluck. Cook up the farro, and then whip up this 10-ingredient (minus pantry staples) chickpea salad recipe in just a few minutes.
If fresh green beans aren’t available substitute frozen. And you can also swap out the chickpeas for white beans or black beans, for a change of pace. And if you are eating a gluten-free diet, try substituting quinoa, brown rice, or sorghum for the farro. This satisfying green bean salad will be one of your favorite go-to recipes all year long.
clock iconcutlery iconflag iconfolder iconinstagram iconpinterest iconfacebook iconprint iconsquares iconheart iconheart solid icon
Rich, global flavors shine through in this nutritious, protein-rich, vegan Green Bean Chickpea Salad with Za’atar, a zesty Arabic spice seasoning.
- 1 ½ cups cooked farro, cooled (according to package directions)
- 2 cups fresh green beans, trimmed, sliced in half
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzos), rinsed, drained
- ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes
- 3 green onions, diced
- 1 bell pepper (yellow, red, green, or orange), chopped
- ¼ cup chopped fresh herbs (i.e., basil, parsley, oregano)
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Pinch kosher salt (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoons za’atar* (additional for garnish)
- Cook farro according to package directions, cool.
- Meanwhile, bring pot of water to a boil, place green beans in the pot, and cover with a lid. Cook for about 5 minutes, just until barely tender and still bright green. Drain and cool.
- Mix cooked, cooled farro and green beans with chickpeas, sun-dried tomatoes, onions, pepper, and herbs.
- To make vinaigrette, mix lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, salt (optional), black pepper, and za’atar* together. Toss into salad. Garnish with additional za’atar and serve immediately, or refrigerate until serving time.
*Za’atar is a Middle Eastern seasoning made out of sesame seeds, sumac, and thyme. You can find it online and in specialty shops, or make it yourself.
I love to serve this salad in my Fiestaware serving bowls, such as this large bistro bowl.
If fresh green beans are not available, substitute with frozen, thawed, drained green beans.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 147
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 102 mg
- Fat: 5 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 20 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 4 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: za’atar, farro salad, za’atar spice, cold green bean salad, vegan chickpea salad
For other hearty, grain salads, check out some of my favorites:
Mason Jar Kale Barley Salad with Turmeric Vinaigrette
Edamame Brown Rice Salad with Chard
Roasted Asparagus Salad with Harissa-Spiced Sorghum
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, click here.